My past and present captured in embroidery

Sep 25, 2009

I have a bag of beautiful vintage silk fabrics that my grandmother gave me years ago.  The fabrics are actually garment remnants from traditional Korean dresses called Hanboks.

One day, I had this idea to embroider images of Portland on the silk fabric.  I had dabbled with embroidery before, but more with lettering than imagery.  I decided to pick up a hoop and a embroidery stitching tool at a craft store, and I'm so glad I did!  The embroidery went so much faster!

I was able to complete my first Portland embroidered image that first evening.  I probably should have sketched it out first on the fabric, but I'm super impatient when it comes to prep work.   Hopefully you recognized it's the Hawthorne Bridge!

All I have to do now is wrap it around a stretched canvas frame so that it's ready to hang.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Love it! Great idea.

Cathy said...

Thanks! Not quite sure what Portland place I'm going to embroider next.

TAE said...

beautiful.. I am Korean :)
We wear Hanbok for traditional wedding or New Years day.
I don't know about the bridge, but your wave under the bridge is so cute!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...