The art of decorating eggs

Dec 23, 2009

There is a scene in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory where Veronica Salt throws a tantrum about wanting her own Golden Geese that lays Golden Easter Eggs.  This is pretty close to how I react when I see a pysanka (Ukrainian Easter egg).  I burst into the "I want it now" tune.


photo source: Luba petrusha

The word pysanky is derived from the Ukrainian word "to write."  It is used to describe the traditional wax resist method of decorating eggs.  Designs are drawn on eggs with wax using a tool with a little funnel on the end. Eggs are dyed in stages, from lightest color to darkest.


photo source: Luba petrusha

Traditionally a craft at springtime or Easter,  pysanky are now made at all times of the year.  I think they look so charming hanging on the Christmas tree.

Here are a few of my favorite pysanky currently available on Etsy. 


Love Bird, Pysanky Panky, $30


Geometric Design Dyed Egg, jenben84, $25


Pysanky egg, bizabiz, $9.99


Etched Floral Rhea Egg, Carlton Art Factory, $175


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...