Small Treasures

May 4, 2010


When I taught high school art, I had several tackle boxes in my classroom.  Inside the tackle box compartments resided tiny natural objects, such as shells, seed pods, and insect carcasses. As a drawing lesson,  I would have students study and draw one of these objects for at least 30 minutes.  I even passed out eye loupes so that students can see the objects' textures and patterns close-up.   

When I was at the beach this weekend, I stepped into a store that carried a variety of tiny sea objects {many of them imported from warmer coastal areas}.  I couldn't help but get all giddy about starting another miniature collection.  Shown above are some of the items I got at the local beach shop.  The barnacle is first on my list to draw!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...