Show and Tell: Korean treats

Sep 10, 2010

My mother brings food whenever she comes over for a visit.  Many times it's an oversized jar of kim chee that she made the day before.  Accompanying the kim chee is usually some kind of snack for each member of the family.  Dried fish, for example, is normally given to me, and sweet rice cakes are a treat for the girls. 


I  love the colors of rice cakes, especially the pale pink.  Each color is a different flavor, and inside of each rice cake ball is sweet bean.  Yum.  I've never made my own, but I found this recipe today.

Here's the dried fish that my mom recently brought over.  It's coated in honey and sesame seeds.  If you look carefully, you can see the bones of the fish.  So, there's definitely a crunchy factor to this snack.  Not a fan favorite in the household, but I enjoy it. 


And then there's the guilty pleasure treat- Choco Pies. 


Choco Pies are essentially a Korean version of the moon pie.  They look sweeter than they actually are, but maybe that's me trying to rationalize eating one.

The packaging is classic.  Normally I steer clear of packaging like this in a market, but I am not as discriminating when it comes to international food products.  A double standard, I know, but I can't help but be amused by phrasing like "It's Now."

1 comments:

Charissa said...

My mouth is watering. We just came back from the Japanese market (which just doesn't happen often enough these days). Picked up a couple of sweets and waiting until after N's bedtime to enjoy!

I checked out the recipe - dang, it's involved! And the Choco-Pies bring me back to college days, when my friend would come back to the dorms from his home with a box or two. Good times.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...