The intricate art of Gretchen Wagoner

Dec 16, 2010


I have never met a butterfly I didn't like. They are delicate, have amazing wing designs, and they flit.  Earlier this year, I came across artist Gretchen Wagoner's latest series, Butterfly and Knot, and I was instantly charmed.  The mixed media series showcases butterflies amid knotted rope- an allegorical juxtaposition of profound human emotions.  Gretchen states, "having butterflies or knots in your stomach may physically feel similar but evoke completely different emotional connotations."


Many of her Butterfly and Knot works are monochromatic, either white gouache on light paper or graphite on dark paper.  I love this idea of imagery that changes with shifting perspective.  


As I explored Gretchen's website, I discovered her recent collaboration with one of my favorite Portland designers, Gretchen Jones of MothLove (who just won the latest Project Runway competition).  These images are just dreamy! 

1 comments:

modern rugs said...

It is really pretty and beautiful and most important is its design which is so unique and creative . Nice design.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...