New works, "Winter Cabin" and "Skyline"

Mar 27, 2011


My birthday is in a couple of days, and all I want is a good dose of vitamin D via sunlight.  It's officially Spring, but it's been unseasonably cold and wet, even for Portland.  We have yet to hit 60 degrees in the new year, and I'm still flipping on our gas fireplace every day. 

So, all this to say, it doesn't surprise me that I'm still painting snow-dressed mountains.  This painting, Winter Cabin, is one of my latest works.  The outline of the mountains were created by carving away wet paint with the end of my paintbrush. To see more detailed pictures of the work, go here


Skyline is the second wood panel piece I completed this week.  I love using blues in my art, and, next to white, they're the first colors to be used up.  Even the cyan ink cartridge in my ink jet printer is replaced at twice the rate than the other colors.  Lately, I've been trying to branch out and use more reds, but I keep coming back to the calm and cool effects of blues. 

7 comments:

belinda marshall said...

happy birthday for a couple of days away! {mine is a few days away too, and quite a number this year!!}.
i love the winter cabin painting.
fingers crossed for some sunny days.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday in advance! Hope you have a lovely day, with the sunshine you need. And I love both of those pieces, they seem so serene.

Bird on Wire Studio said...

Ah, these are just so lovely! I'm absolutely broke at the moment, but I'm going to be purchasing one of your paintings as soon as I can. Since everything you paint makes me happy, I'm sure the right piece will come along at the same time that I have money in my paypal account. Glorious!

Janelle said...

happy early birthday! love "winter cabin" and the subtlety of your coloring/brushwork in the snowy areas. gorgeous!

Alex Louisa said...

I love how you carved the edges of the mountains into the wet paint. The hints of orange showing through look so good!

And happy nearly birthday :)

annekata said...

Today is your birthday! I wish you all the best and a creative, stimulating and peaceful year!
Kathrin

Cathy said...

Thanks for all the birthday well-wishes!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...