summer hike

Jun 18, 2012


My memories of summer vacations as a kid usually entail road trips to national parks with my aunt, uncle, and cousins.  We have been to at least nine national parks together, including Glacier, Yellowstone, Yosemite, and Mesa Verde.  This photo of me was taken over 25 years ago in Grand Canyon National Park.  (I'll be the first to admit that nothing says awkward more than a middle school kid.) 

We hiked to the bottom of the canyon that day and saw an amazing electrical storm at night.  I have countless memories like these spending my summers out in nature.  Sure, I can also recount the long, hot car rides and gagging on cornmeal mush for breakfast.  But, that's all part of great summer adventures. 

Now that school is out, I want our girls to spend their summer out-of-doors as much as possible.  We already have eight mini trips planned, including one to Olympic National Park.  The reality is, I need this time in nature just as much as the kids.  After a crazy busy year of life in general, I need some open space to reflect, breathe, and be inspired.

new work: summer hike





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this painting.
-April

MM said...

i really like your works!:)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...